My Country Walks



Welcome to my new blog following my move to the Cotswolds in early 2018.

Previously living on the edge of Dartmoor I shared details of my walks on Dartmoor on my previous blog My Dartmoor Walks. As I explore this new area I will share details of the routes here.

Click on any photo to enlarge it.

Wednesday 26th June 2019 - Marlborough Downs

A longer drive to Hackpen Hill on Marlbourgh Downs. Lots of misty cloud and a cool breeze at first.
South West along The Ridgeway to Berwick Bassett Dewpond. Around the Sarsen Stones t Grey Wethers on Monkton Down and then down to Winterbourne Monkton to follow the footpath to Avebury where we had lunch. Through the impressive stone circle at Avebury and up to Overton Down on the Wessex Ridgeway. Finally the sun started to come out.  Some impressive displays of poppies here. Continuing on the Wessex Ridgeway through Fyfield Down to Manaton Down where there are lots of horse gallops. Then across to Temple Bottom to go back up the ridge before cutting across to  Wick Down Farm and back to the start.

12 miles and 1100 feet of ascent.



Mist everywhere at the start

South along The Ridgeway

Berwick Bassett Dewpond a really beautiful spot.


Grey Wethers on Monkton Down

The church in Avebury

The very impressive stones in the stone circle


The earthworks around the stone circle....

....and an adjacent tree with ribbons

On the Wessex Ridgeway

A festival of poppies.........




The long and winding road

Horse gallops everywhere

Looking down Temple Bottom



No comments:

Post a Comment