My Country Walks



Welcome to my new blog following my move to the Cotswolds in early 2018.

Previously living on the edge of Dartmoor I shared details of my walks on Dartmoor on my previous blog My Dartmoor Walks. As I explore this new area I will share details of the routes here.

Click on any photo to enlarge it.

Thursday 28th August 2019 - Fownhope


A walk in Herefordshire with a new group. Starting from Fownhope. Initially following the River Wye for some distance, past Mancell's Ferry and acres and acres of potatoes. Then into Capler Wood for a coffee stop in the rain although it didn't last for long. Up the steeper bit to Brockhampton and through the valley with the history posts to All Saints church. A most unusual church built in 1902 but looking well weathered and much older. Along to near Capler Lodge for our lunch stop and an unusual picnic table. Over and through Capler Camp and into Paget's Wood before returning to Fownhope for a well earned ice cream. Just over 10 miles with 1265 feet ascent.





The spectacular River Wye

Fishing..


Mancell's Ferry

Past acres and acres of potatoes, but, this is Herefordshire where Tyrells crisps are made - could these be bound for the crisp packet?

Forestry operations in Capler Wood


Past the history posts

All Saints Church built in 1902



The picnic spot designed by a local artist after two years of consultations!

Capler Camp an ancient Iorn Age Fort

Another history post on top

Through Paget's Wood


Returning to the start

No comments:

Post a Comment