My Country Walks



Welcome to my new blog following my move to the Cotswolds in early 2018.

Previously living on the edge of Dartmoor I shared details of my walks on Dartmoor on my previous blog My Dartmoor Walks. As I explore this new area I will share details of the routes here.

Click on any photo to enlarge it.

Sunday 18th August 2019 Dowdeswell


An easy walk from the lay-bye on the A40. A heavy shower as we set off but it didn't last for long. Around the edge of Sandywell Park, through the showground of the same name where the Andoversford point to point meetings take place. Into Andoversford for a coffee stop then out towards the Shipton Golf course. On to the Gloucestershire Way through Foxcote and up the hill for lunch. Returning over  the A436 towards Castle Barn Farm where our mere presence spooked a herd of cows to stampede from an adjacent field and past us. Just a really good job no one was in the way. Back through Lower Dowdeswell. A few 'dodgy' stiles on route.

7.5 miles and 750 feet ascent.






The first of many stiles

Passing one of the fences on the Andoversford point to point course.

Past one of the grand entrances to Sandywell Park a Jacobean Georgian manor house built in 1704....

...we had previously passed these gates - note the Urns on top of the pillars have been removed.

Crossing the point to point course


Coffee stop by the stream in Andoversford

On the Gloucestershire Way


Up the steeper bit for the lunch stop - and what a fine view we had.

The cattle stampede past us

 Castle Barn Farm


Looking across the valley to Lower Dowdeswell

St Michael's Church, Lower Dowdeswell



No comments:

Post a Comment