My Country Walks



Welcome to my new blog following my move to the Cotswolds in early 2018.

Previously living on the edge of Dartmoor I shared details of my walks on Dartmoor on my previous blog My Dartmoor Walks. As I explore this new area I will share details of the routes here.

Click on any photo to enlarge it.

Sunday 1st September 2019 - South Cerney

An completely flat walk around the Cotswold Water Park. This is an are of 40 square miles with 150 lakes in the countryside. The lakes werer created by the extraction of limestone gravel and the lakes filled natrually after the gravel pits had been worked. It is an are for wildlife.

We started from the 'Gateway' next to the A419 initially following the disused Thame and Severn Canal. We then followed the paths south through South Cerney. to the River Thames. Then eastwards befor re-joing the canal to return to the start.

9 miles with 217 feet ascent.







The disused canal

South Cerney

Coffee stop beside one of the lakes used for ......

.....sailing


Typical of the footpaths through this area.

Lunch stop beside another lake....

...with a water skier for entertainment...

.....retrieving the line after one of his falls into the water



On the disused railway line.


Back to the canal.

No comments:

Post a Comment