My Country Walks



Welcome to my new blog following my move to the Cotswolds in early 2018.

Previously living on the edge of Dartmoor I shared details of my walks on Dartmoor on my previous blog My Dartmoor Walks. As I explore this new area I will share details of the routes here.

Click on any photo to enlarge it.

Tuesday 8th January - Return to Dartmoor

An early start to arrive in Belstone for a walk with my old friends. Very cool and with a thin layer of cloud at the start. Dianne was leading and we went out over Belstone Tor, past Higher Tor and on to Oke Tor for a coffee break. Then down to the ford near Knack Mine before going up to Steeperton Tor. A little windy on top so it was decided to have lunch lower down and so we stopped by Steeperton Brook.  Around the edge of Taw Marsh and stopping at the radon works on the way back. Also with Darren, Jon, Anne, Jane, Charlie and Jon.

8 miles and 1200 feet ascent.














A wonderful sense of  remoteness as you go up to Belstone Tor with a view of  Rowtor, West Mill tor and Yes Tor in the distance.

Belstone Tor along the ridge.

Higher Tor below with East Mill tor in the middle distance.

Steeperton from Oke Tor

Going up to Steeperton Tor


On Top

The flag pole with Taw Marsh below.

Taw Marsh with Belstone Tor on the left.

The disused radon works. The purpose of this underground plant was to remove radon gas from water extracted from Taw Marsh.

Back at Belstone the first lambs of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment