My Country Walks



Welcome to my new blog following my move to the Cotswolds in early 2018.

Previously living on the edge of Dartmoor I shared details of my walks on Dartmoor on my previous blog My Dartmoor Walks. As I explore this new area I will share details of the routes here.

Click on any photo to enlarge it.

Tuesday 24th January 2023 Dartmoor

Back to Dartmoor to lead a walk with my old friends. It was coincidence that it was 5 years to the day since we left Devon. A glorious morning it was too.  A hard frost and bright sunshine. 13 of us on the walk and nearly a full house. This is one of my favourite areas of Dartmoor.  Starting just below Pew Tor our route took us past Feather Tor and Windy Post and up to Cox Tor. Down to the dewpond for a coffee stop then over Great Staple Tor to the Merrivale quarry. Finally returning past Heckwood Tor and Pew Tor.


At the start with Pew Tor just visible

Windy Post

Along the leat

The steep bit up to Cox Tor

Fine view across to Bodmin Moor

Cox Tor, Roos Tor and Great Staple Tor

At the trig point on Cox Tor


The dewpond was iced over but just beginning to thaw


The old quarry at Merrivale

Vixen Tor

Coming through the boggy bit


No comments:

Post a Comment