My Country Walks



Welcome to my new blog following my move to the Cotswolds in early 2018.

Previously living on the edge of Dartmoor I shared details of my walks on Dartmoor on my previous blog My Dartmoor Walks. As I explore this new area I will share details of the routes here.

Click on any photo to enlarge it.

Sunday 24th July 2022 - Barrow Wake

With the Cleeve Ramblers. Starting from the car park at Barrow Wake. Very dull with some 'mizzly' rain at first. Down from the escarpment to Great Witcombe as the 'mizzle' lifted and it began to get much warmer. Across the Witcombe reservoir then up to the edge of the Roman Villa. Then very, very steeply up again through the woods to The Buckholt and on through tbe Buckholt Wood and back down the Cotswold Way.  Here the group split with most returning to the start along the Cotswold Way. Some of us followed the leader back down to Witcombe Park only  to go straight back up again to the Cotswold Way and back to the start.  About 8 miles with 1500 feet of ascent.


Dull at first


Going down to Great Witcombe


Church of St Mary the Virgin

Witcombe Reservoir

The Roman Villa

Buckholt Wood

A home for someone once

Going down again


And then back up!

Coming out of the woods near Birdlip

Clear views at the end of the walk. May Hill just visible on the left in the far distance and the Malvern Hills on the right.


No comments:

Post a Comment