My Country Walks



Welcome to my new blog following my move to the Cotswolds in early 2018.

Previously living on the edge of Dartmoor I shared details of my walks on Dartmoor on my previous blog My Dartmoor Walks. As I explore this new area I will share details of the routes here.

Click on any photo to enlarge it.

Forest of Dean 28th November 2018

A really dull wet and miserable day for my return walk to the Forest of Dean after a break of many years. Storm Diana had passed by overnight but the forest protected us from the strong winds everyone else seemed to be experiencing. We started from a very remote spot at Bullock's Breach. (On my way there I inadvertently went past a house we were interested in after we decided to leave Wales - in the event we moved to Devon instead).

Our route took us through Blakeneyhill Woods, Viney Hill past Yorkley Slade and Danby Lodge. Lunch stop was at the Mallards Pike picnic site so at least we had a table to sit at and the new cafe was open for a hot drink. Returning on the Blakeney Greenway and over Broom Hill.

Only 8 on the walk so we moved relatively quickly.

10.5 miles 1600 feet ascent.

Gloucestershire Ramblers mid-week group.

Fog and rain behind the trees in the valley below

The forest is very hilly so you are constantly going up and down.

Mallards Pike picnic site and newly opened cafe.

Forest urchin by the picnic site

The sun finally comes out - 10 minutes from the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment