My Country Walks



Welcome to my new blog following my move to the Cotswolds in early 2018.

Previously living on the edge of Dartmoor I shared details of my walks on Dartmoor on my previous blog My Dartmoor Walks. As I explore this new area I will share details of the routes here.

Click on any photo to enlarge it.

Tuesday 19th March 2024 - Bude Canal

On holiday for a week in Bude and an opportunity for me to lead a walk for my old fiends from Dartmoor. Initially following the Bude canal and then across country to the coast path just north of Widemouth Bay. Returning to Bude on the coast path.

The canal was opened in 1823 to move lime enriched sand from Bude beach to the fields in North Cornwall. Unusual in it construction because inclined planes were used rather than locks to go uphill. The boats were pulled up railway type tracks using powerful winches before going back into the canal at the higher level. The canal was 35 miles long with 6 inclined planes.


Across the muddy fields to.....
 
.....the coast.

Along the coast path

....to find a place for a picnic lunch....

...with this view to the north.....

...and this view to the south

Then back along the coast path 

To Bude

Back on the headland above the beach we could see Bude Tower, a folly, which has just been moved inland due to coastal erosion for the second time. The tower was originally built in 1831 and moved for the first time 50 years later. Another 150 years and it has been moved again. Demolished and rebuilt brick by brick.

No comments:

Post a Comment